Monday, March 22, 2010

19 March Featured Space: Kids - Clothes Plan for your Clan

Now that your kid's can fold all of their own clothes, here is another super duper easy way to get them helping out AND make your mornings super duper easy!

Only a couple of steps are needed to say "Mission Accomplished" when it comes to preparing kid's clothes for the following day.

Step 1:

Snag some storage.  Any smaller sized bin will do, just as long as it will fit a day's worth of clothes for your little loved one.  IHeart this ITSO canvas bin from Target which I picked up for under seven smackaroos.  Only one needed for each kiddo, and because I have three splendid boys, Preston, Peyton & Parker, I actually snagged three of these bins:

Step 2: 

Create some fab labels!  Well, if you want too anyway.  I decided to clip on a label to each bin to identify who each bin belonged too:


I created these out of some ultra neat scrapbook supplies, pretty simple stuff.

Once I clipped to the front of the bin, there was no way the kids would get them mixed up!



Step 3:

Each evening, have your little one {if you trust them to do so!} pick out their clothes for the following day.  Then, they can place them inside their bin!


The next morning when everyone is in a hurry to get up and out of the house, it won't be a mad dash to dig through drawers and argue with the kid's about what to wear. They can just go straight to their bin and get dressed.  Pretty great stuff right there, making for a super duper easy start to the day!


Oh, and this strategy isn't just super duper for kids, it can be for any teen or adult also!  Storage just might not be in the form of a bin, maybe in the form of a coat hook hung in the bedroom or closet, where clothes can be picked out and hung up the night before, saving boatloads of precious morning minutes the following day.






19 comments:

  1. great idea! I have my boys pick out their clothes and leave them on the floor by the stairs for the next day... but LOVE the idea of putting them in a basket! so simple...and so organized! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have taken this idea one step further at our house. I am NOT a morning person so I need to streamline mornings with my two little guys as much as possible! :) We bought a 10-shelf hanging shoe organizer, which is about 6-7" wide, 12" deep, and each shelf is about 6" tall. I hung it in their (shared) closet and labeled the bottom 5 shelves Monday through Friday. Then Sunday evenings I get all of my older son's clothes ready for each day & place it in the appropriate spot. He can reach these lower shelves so he can dress himself! I use the top 5 shelves for my baby's clothes for each day. I think soon I will start having my older son start picking out his own clothes for the week as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's AMAZING! So glad to hear that it's working so well for you, sounds like a major morning time saver! Pass along a pic if you ever find some time, I bet the readers would heart it!

    Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I referenced it in my blog entry about how we are helping our son organize his school clothes: http://makeithappenmama.blogspot.com/2010/09/organizing-school-clothes.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have a special place for the bin or ?? I set the kids clothes out but just lay them on a table for them to grab after breakfast. I like your idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rikki!

    I keep them on a special shelves in their bedrooms. :)

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, Jen, I'm addicted to your blog! I absolutely love it and am excited with some great (and long overdue:) ideas! Question for you: how do you go about making all of the labels you use for your storage? Trying to find the spot in your blog that shows that, but can't seem to. Thanks so much..can't wait to get to work..you're inspiring! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being an avid crafter, I just use many of my scrapbooking supplies to create label concoctions, however, here is a link to a post I did on creating electronic labels: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2010/08/you-asked-label-me.html

    Thanks so much!

    xoxo,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my toddler color and cut out a paper "face" and "hands". Every night before bed he made a person laying out his shirt, pants, socks and shoes with a paper face and hands. He loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have baskets w/ fabric inserts that have my daughters' names on them that we got from Pottery Barn when they were babies. When they were teenies we used them for their tiny hat collection that both of them had, for years now they've sat on a shelf holding nothing. You just gave me a great idea for how to get my mornings under control & use those cute baskets again! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to use those hangers rods that accommodate 5 hangers then fold down.I can pick out five outfits and then the children still have some choice of what to wear but our mornings are much easier. I reinforced the top with duct tape because the clothes can get pretty heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. great idea! my OH will be doing this for our daughter when she starts creche next week. so it'll be very handy

    ReplyDelete
  13. So Awesome! Adding this to my poject list this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea. Our older kids rewear their jammies a few times so they have a similar storage bin that they place their jammies and slippers in in the morning. Just occurred to me that they could set out the night befores clothes in the same box as you do here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I added a link to this post in my blog. I've got the organizing down but I wish I could be as crafty as you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. With four kids (three that are little girls that aren't old enough to pick out their own clothing)I have taken five gallon-sized bags for each girl and labeled them with the day of the week. On Sunday evening when I put away all of the laundry I also fill each bag for the week days for each girl. The oldest can read the days of the week so she hands out the bags in the morning. My routine has become much quicker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is an absolutely brilliant idea! Thanks so much for sharing!

      xo!
      Jen

      Delete
    2. Your ideas are so wonderful. I could only aspire to be as clever and organized as you, but I am trying! I love that you call your kids P1, 2, and 3... I have been calling mine A1 and A2! Iheart it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking a moment to join in on the conversation! I read and appreciate each and every comment, however, I will remove any comment that I believe to be inappropriate, malicious, or spam-like. I would love for this comment section to be used as a place to engage in purposeful dialogue, I only ask that everyone remains constructive and considerate.

All comments will be moderated and may take a moment to appear.